I have joined waterford(http://www.waterford.org/) as a flash programmer. It was a good first day. While the office is small here in India, compared to other companies, the work environment is looking good. The most important thing for me is the travel time, it has been reduced tremendously. Now the workplace is at a walkable distance. Uff traffics are gone for the timebeing. The flash development team is small enough but doing quality stuff. The current project is games for kids(from KG to 2). So there are a lot of challenges. I mean it. Its on the technical side as well as UI side and designing graphics side too. I have to go through a lot of docs, answer a lot of queries. We will be working on a software where kids learn as well as play and the school/guardians control the lessons/children. There will be sequencing and multi-player games too. These are new to me as I never worked on multiplayer applications. So feeling great to be working on new technologies and on the decision making side.
The first set of questions thrown to me currently is as follows, though several of them seem obvious, I need proper explanation and reference to convince my manager and client. So, if anybody has got any feedback or suggestion, please let me know.
1. Whether to Flash-Remoting or XMLSockets (in terms of speed and multiuser and speed)
2. If remoting, which would be the serverside technology, JAVA or PHP ? (Which one is faster?)
3. How RED5 solves our purpose?(my suggestion was to use RED5, so looking forward to resons)
4. At initial screen(registration/login), whether a simple dynamic page or a flash page (speed ?, my suggestion is flash)
5. wheter to use AIR or simple serverside pages on browser in the initial screens (my suggestion is AIR)
6. MySql or PostGRE Sql ? (i suggest : mysql but everybody else is at POSTGREs)
The list goes on. But I think these were the most crucial ones.Currently I am reading things to get a doc ready for the purpose.